CANVAS -How To
Who has access?
All FISD parents and guardians can log in to CANVAS using their SKYWARD login. Parents or guardians of students at Friendswood Junior High and Friendswood High School will see the courses their students are scheduled into. K-5 campuses have access to CANVAS but are not fully on the system this year. Some K-5 classes are piloting Canvas this year and those teachers will notify their parents.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments, communication and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face to face classes, Canvas is an integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction.
What is an observer role in Canvas?
Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your child’s teacher.
What can parents view in Canvas?
Below are the features available to Parents. Please note that not all courses use all features.
• Set your Notifications
• View the Dashboard
• View the course Syllabus
• View prompts but not participate in Discussions
• View but not submit Assignments
• Preview and download some Files
• View the Modules Page
• View Canvas Grades
• View the Calendar
• Communicate with the teacher
How will parents access Canvas?
• The link to the Canvas login is located at http://myfisd.instructure.com. Please remember to bookmark the Canvas login website for future quick and easy access.
• You will use your username that you use for SKYWARD. You will need to click forgot password the first time you access CANVAS so that you can set a password for the CANVAS system.
• If you are experiencing trouble with your CANVAS login or password, please contact Tech Services at 281.482.1621 or email@example.com
• Parents should not use their student’s log in credentials.
• The Canvas app is available in Google Play and the App Store for tablets and smartphones. Windows devices use the browser.
• Canvas is new to the District and campuses are developing plans for parents as observers.
How can I learn more about being an observer in Canvas?
Please view the Canvas Parent Observer Guide
Where can I change my password?
You can change your password in Account Settings. Click Edit Settings on the right and then check the box for change password. Enter the old and new password then click Update Settings
If I change my password in Skyward, will it automatically change in Canvas?
No. Canvas and Skyward passwords are not linked. They are set independently.
How can I organize my students?
- You can change the color course modules for each of your children. When on the Canvas app click the pencil icon on the upper right of a course module. On a computer you will click on the three dots on the upper right of a course module to change the color.
- You can nickname the course modules when on a computer to make them easier to identify. When on the computer you will click on the three dots on the upper right of a course module to nickname a course.
- You can show only the course modules you are interested in seeing on your dashboard. Click on Courses in the navigation bar and scroll down to All Courses. Put a yellow star next to the courses you want to see on the dashboard. This can be changed and updated as often as you like. This is setting your “favorites”. On the App you will click the gear in the upper right to get to all courses.
Can I move the boxes around?
You can not manually move the boxes on the dashboard around. They are organized alphabetically on the computer.
Can I limit/increase notifications for certain students or is all general?
The notification setting are for all courses in Canvas. There is not a way to set separate notifications for separate students or courses.
Are report cards located in Canvas? attendance?
Skyward is our Student Information system. Skyward is where you will find access to the official grades for your child, attendance and a copy of the report card.
How do I see the calendar for just one course?
You can check and uncheck which classes you want to see in the calendar on the right side when on a computer. Once you color code/nick name the box…that is how it will appear in the calendar.
Why do I not see all my child’s courses on the dashboard?
If you have selected only to show favorites in the dashboard you will need to go to Courses and to Show All Courses on a computer (the gear on the app) and make sure you have the course selected. If a course is not published by the teacher it will not show on the dashboard.