The District has been working with Engage to Learn on a strategic design process to create a five-year strategic plan for Friendswood ISD. As part of the process, the District has utilized a community survey, focus groups, and a strategic design team to gather input and facilitate a collaborative process to put together a document to help guide the planning for the next five years. This document has been produced through the gathering of data and the work of a design team that has met for five sessions. The design team was made up of 43 members from various district stakeholders – students, teachers at elementary and secondary, community members, parents, administrators, and central office staff. Dr. Steve Waddell from Engage to Learn facilitated the process.
- That learning is meaningful, relevant and ever-evolving which motivates students, educators, parents, and community members to be lifelong learners.
- Students learn best and succeed in a space where they feel heard, seen and connected.
- Student-teacher relationships are key to student success.
- Education has a responsibility to value and support all students’ dreams and aspirations.
- Learning is unique to an individual’s passions and needs.
- Public education provides well rounded educational opportunities for all.
- Communication, collaboration and real-world connections lead to profound learning.
- Interpersonal relationships and connections are vital to the learning of and the development of civility and respect.
- Education for the future provides for the ability to learn and problem solve.
- Every student has a right to a safe learning environment.
- Relevant, authentic, engaged learning provides the best opportunity for true growth.
- A well-rounded student is the product of academic, social, and emotional learning.
- A quality education creates a bridge for all students to become independent contributing adults.
Our Learner Outcomes
- Every student will have a positive relationship with at least one adult at school.
- Each learner will demonstrate effective collaboration skills in both small and large team settings in every class.
- All students will effectively communicate utilizing a variety of media on a daily basis.
- Every student will achieve individual goals through an annual personal success plan.
- All students will graduate ready for their college or career choice.
- All students will demonstrate positive character daily.
- Each learner will explore the unknown, report discovery, and celebrate learning in every class.
- Every student will participate in a meaningful service activity each year.
- Every learner will connect through participation in a school activity or community group annually.
- All students will demonstrate measurable academic growth each year.
- All students engage in meaningful authentic learning every day appropriate to their unique path.
- Each learner will set measurable goals for his/her own learning exploration.
- All learners will identify a problem and apply problem-solving, critical thinking and creativity in all classes.
- All students will display a strong work ethic and be accountable for prioritizing their individual academic and social growth in every class.
Our Learner Profile
Ways of Thinking
- We will develop a district-wide system that establishes a culture of community service for all students.
- We will redefine the measure of student success based on our beliefs and call to action.
- We will provide professional learning that is aligned to our beliefs and call to action.
- We will partner with the community to actively create and foster a learning environment dedicated to real-world instruction and experiences.
- We will strategically allocate resources for facilities that promote authentic learning experiences and real-world opportunities.
- All students will be engaged in authentic learning experiences in and beyond the classroom.
- We will develop initiatives that promote strong character traits, emotional maturity, and social well-being for each child.